Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Interesting Series of Tweets

Not that I tweet but have read an interesting series of tweets by Sean Lennon, son of John. After reading this series I can comfortably peg him as a classic liberal. And it is obvious to me that he has an artistic mind. His ability to flow from subtopic to subtopic within an overall main topic is pretty cool. And BTW; he'd probably be irritated at me for giving him labels.

I have copied the entirety of the series because it will probably be removed, or truncated, at some point. Especially since it is being linked at conservative blogs. Please excuse some of the language, it's kind of salty.

When I was young ppl used to say racist shit about Asians around me all the time and then be like ‘Oh sorry! But you’re not reeeally Asian so…’ and I think they sincerely thought that would make me feel better. I’m not exactly sure why I brought that up but I think… 


…it’s because I want to say that I grew up in a time when there was zero political correctness. I literally saw political correctness being invented right in front of me (at certain schools) and then distributed and eventually enforced as a mindset and ideology. I want to say.. 

…that one might have imagined at the time that the politically correct mindset and resulting implementation and enforcement would lead to a better society in which cultures and peoples were more integrated and more mutually understanding. 

But it is often the case that seemingly obvious solutions fail and even make matters worse—I often think about the terrible track record we have in science of artificially modifying an ecosystem in order to ‘re-balance’ a problem we created but ultimately wind up making things… 

…worse by creating bigger unforeseen problems. ‘The road to hell is paved w good intentions.’ We’ve been trying this kind of morality policing for awhile now & I would posit things are arguably getting worse. Race relations seem to be in the middle of a ‘two steps back’ moment. 

I say this not only because it seems clear from news events and statistics that race relations in this country are particularly terrible, but also because my DMs have never been more filled with bizarre WWII era bullshit (like chink and jap, or whatever). (I'd be willing to bet that as many progressives as rednecks have posted these idioms - Editor)

I am very sad that I feel like I have to say the following but here goes: Asians are not the problem. Blacks are not the problem. Jews are not the problem. And yes, Whites are not the problem either. No race or culture is ‘the problem.’ 

I have lived in many cities and countries and I can say from experience that there is an EQUAL distribution of shitty ppl and good ppl in EVERY human population. Most are good, some aren’t great, and a very small number are clinical sociopaths you absolutely need to avoid. 

When I grew up New York truly felt like a melting pot. It wasn’t perfect, but ppl did not self segregate along tribal lines to the degree that I am seeing today. There is something wrong with the strategy and direction we have chosen, in academia, in politics, and elsewhere. 

It’s not working. And to be clear I am not blaming all of the bad things we are seeing in culture today on political correctness. Yes we inherited a problematic history (yada yada) and I think PC culture has achieved some good and some progress for society. 

I am simply saying we should check our strategy if we are not getting the results we intended. I don’t know what the solution is, but I suspect that over sensitizing ppl to arbitrary characteristics like skin colour may be doing more harm than good. 

I know very well that the idea of being ‘colour blind’ is out of fashion, that MLK’s vision of character over skin colour is considered to be naive. But that vision surely made our society better. I’m not sure the modern vision of ‘race consciousness’ is making things better. (Very sad that the words of MLK could be considered naive - Editor)

Someone smarter than me told me about the idea of ‘the least interesting, interesting thing.’ We humans tend to be pre occupied with the least interesting interesting thing. When you get to know someone, their race, or where they were born, very quickly becomes less… 

…interesting than what they think, and—to use a cliché—who they really are on the inside. Their arbitrary birth status may be interesting at first but is ultimately the LEAST interesting, interesting thing about them. That is always true. 

If you are still reading this, congratulations, you have an attention span, (please give me some). I don’t often talk about race, especially my own, because I feel attention is like water in a garden: whatever you give it to will grow. 

I pray this thread does not ignite some kind of melt down (if it does I’ll just delete because I have no more energy for that kind of thing atm). 

Okay that’s it. Peace and Love to all. I mean it. 

And one more thing…just remember who benefits from the ‘divide and conquer’ paradigm. It ain’t us that’s for sure.

The written and unwritten rules of blogging is that the blogger doesn't snip someone else's work in it's entirety. We will choose a choice section, paste it within our post, try to provide some additional insight, then provide a link to the author's page. I've broken the rules here because I have this feeling that the tweet thread will be taken down at some point. He makes way too much sense, and his points are very thought provoking. Progressives don't like it when you think for yourself. If one strays too far from the plantation, one gets slapped down. The author has indicated that he will remove the thread if there is too much negativity. Here is the link. He has some other threads you might find interesting.



2 comments:

  1. He's pretty-much on point, though the "essay" seems a bit long for ANY media, especially Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree that Twitter is not the best vehicle for his essay. But with the short attention span of many people these days, his methods just might be catalyst to get people to read further. Small portions served in a rapid fashion just might be more palatable.

      Delete