Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Gingrich Campaign Takes Another Hit

I don’t think I ever thought Gingrich really had any chance at being the Republican nominee for President of the United States. In a few of the interviews I saw with him he was either kind of “oh well” about it or he was very combative. Neither of these approaches is going to win you many votes or get you very much money. Plus, when you are attached at the hip with the likes of Nancy Pelosi and denigrate Ryan Paul’s budget plan, you are not only digging a hole, you are burying yourself in the hole.

Now this news has come forth. It seems that his financial team has also jumped ship.  This comes on the heels of his advisors also calling it quits after some serious disagreement with how to run the campaign.

Gingrich is a conservative icon, developed when he, and the Congress he lead, was able to pull Clinton more to the center. He had a major role in getting the budgets balanced and even getting the government in the black for the first time in many years.

But you almost had a feeling when listening to him that he was either not really interested in running or he thought he could stand on his past accolades. He never seemed to grasp that we have become a nation of what have you done for me lately (as in a few minutes ago). Collectively, our national attention span is not much longer than an ant’s, so asking the voting public to reach back into the recesses of our minds for the 1990s was a bit of a stretch.

The trip to the Med seemed to be a bad call on his part. I know he said this trip had been planned for quite some time, but I would think the travel agency would understand.  “Hey, this is Newt Gingrich, I am running for President of the United States. I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind if I cancelled our cruise so I can focus a little more on the task at hand.”

No comments:

Post a Comment