Thursday, December 30, 2010

How 'bout Them Catholics, or Baptists, or...

In my profile I mentioned that I was born again, but wasn't going to be "in your face" about it. I also mentioned that occasionally I would post some of my thoughts. As it has been the Christmas Season, the time to celebrate the birth of our Savior, my posting on this subject are a little more plentiful as the mood has come over me. This post is probably the most "preachy" I have gotten.  If you are offended by these types of post, I don't apologize since this is my blog and you have chosen to read it. But I do want you to continue reading my blog so I will keep these posts to a minimum. Or maybe not.

Over the course of my years I have continuously run into people who are opposed to Baptists, or Catholics, or Seventh Day Adventists, or Lutherans. I know there are some philosophical and some doctrinal reason for the one going feuds between the various Christian “clics”. Most believe the only way to heaven is to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior and dedicate their life to living as close to Him and like Him as possible. But there is always one thing that keeps them arguing. Each church believes this acceptance must come through that particular church. I don’t agree with this at all.

While I most certainly am not a bible scholar, I have done some reading and have listened to the teachings from various pastors and priests. None of them have been able to point out to me the bible says XYZ Church is the only to Christ. The bible does make it clear many times over and through many different verses that there is only one way to heaven and that is to accept and embrace Jesus Christ was sent to earth to die for our sins, he did just that, and then rose into heaven three days later. Because of His unconditional Love for us he was willing to sacrifice so that we may have a path to heaven. We are all sinners and needed this sacrifice to be forgiven.

I personally believe all the rest is just fluff. Whether you use a priest to confess your sins, or ask for forgiveness through prayer in the privacy of your own home doesn’t really matter as long as you believe as John 3:16 instructs. Does it really matter whether you believe Mary was a truly remarkable person to be the mother of God, or if Mary was only a vessel for God? It all comes down to whether you have accepted Jesus Christ die for our sins and you accept Him as you personal Savior.

Before everyone goes off on me over this view, please keep in mind that I am not “humanist” or a “naturist” or whatever “ist” you want to call me. If you read the Bible through, and especially the New Testament, I think you’ll see that God wanted to make everlasting life as simple on us as possible. It certainly wasn’t easy on Him or on Jesus. But for us, it really is simple when you boil it down. You must accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment