Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Asian Students

Have you ever wonder why Asian children seem to do better in school then other ethnic groups? Here is a small window as to why this might be. This paragraph is very telling as to why there might be a difference in student performance.

“In one study, Chua writes, “of 50 Western American mothers and 48 Chinese immigrant mothers, almost 70% of the Western mothers said either that ‘stressing academics is not good for the children’ or that ‘parents need to foster the idea that learning is fun’.  By contrast, roughly 0% of the Chinese mothers felt the same way.”
Click here to read the full article by Mona Charen at National Review
.
I realize the question above might have some racist undertones, but since I am not racist I am not really concerned about what others might think. While admitting that my experience is limited, I do recall that the Asian kids that I went to school with (high school and college) out performed the white students as a group by a significant margin. I don’t recall any of Asian kids struggling to get good grades, while the white kids were all over the place. Once thing I will say, the white kids that did well did have one thing in common with the Asian kids. Their parent stressed that an education was the best way to make things better for themselves.

BTW: for those you who will tell me that I am racist let me tell you my philosophy on race. You are no better or worse than me just because of the color of your skin or your ethnic background. And I am not better or worse than you because of the color of my skin or my ethnic background. I will base my judgment on what you bring to the table. If one person is white and brings 50% and the other is black and brings 60%, I choose the 60%. I will always choose the higher performer. Fairly simple and to the point, don’t you think? And isn’t that what Dr. King wanted all along?

No comments:

Post a Comment