Thursday, January 13, 2011

Obama Hits the Correct Tone

As you might have already guessed, I am NOT a President Obama supporter. I don’t care for his progressive politics; I don’t care for how he came up through the “Chicago Machine”; I don’t care for his haughty attitude; and I don’t care for his utter lack of experience. But I will give credit where credit is due. If all you do is listen to his words there is no question the man can deliver a speech. He has the knack for saying the right things at the right time. Tonight he hit all the right notes. His care and concern about the victims and the families was quite evident. He told the Daniel Hernandez, the guy rightfully credited for saving Giffords life, that whether he liked it not, he will always be a hero, but he said it such a way that probably made it acceptable for Hernandez. I kind of got the feeling that Obama was saying to Hernandez that this will be a burden you’ll have to wear, but I am certain you will wear it well. He remembered each of the victims, told a little story about each. When he spoke about Christina Green and her anything is possible innocence it nearly brought a tear to my eye.

He also touched on the rhetoric being spewed around. And I think he hit the nail on the head with his words:
"At a time when our discourse has become so sharply polarized," he said, "at a time when we are far too eager to lay the blame for all that ails the world at the feet of those who happen to think differently than we do — it's important for us to pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds." (From USA Today)


I did think the crowd was a little boisterous, and at times, their response to the President seemed a little inappropriate for the event. But maybe they were feeling a sense of celebration of life. I don’t know, I wasn’t there.

No comments:

Post a Comment